[Harp-L] Re: chromatic and small mouth

seems to me, and perhaps only to me, that instead of thinking of it as a physical problem, issue, or whatever you call it, you might instead,  focus on what your ears are hearing.... taking cues from what you hear, thus taking the attention from the physical to whatever the listening parts are, ears, I suppose...

sometimes, focusing PAST what you  perceive as being a problem can help you make changes. Focus on the desired result, it can work....

No reason that playing an octave is THE thing, there are several other intervals to be played, thirds, and so on....
So it's probably not an "either, or" situation....ie that of training your mouth to take one of two shapes.... as you say, "relaxed" and "stretched"... there are steps in between.....

All this without measurably changing your throat.... lots of lip stuff can affect or effect? your throat opening, almost as if all the parts were part of  one central thing..... that being you.

So you might try training the ears, and not the embouchure.....

And I think the goal in playing music is to be able at some point, to focus on the music, and really have nothing to do with the "how" it happens.....

kind of a cool goal.....and when it happens, you'll know it, and, if you're like me, get bummed out when you can't repeat the feeling every time you play...

ok, I"m done

jk

I don't think guys who use double stops
On Apr 28, 2014, at 9:47 AM, Dan Hazen wrote:

> So my problem is apparently that the 5 holes I need is right in the middle between my relaxed and stretched embouchures... I should physically be able to do it... I'm just gonna have to spend more time on it and train the embouchure to be that 1 5/8" that the 5 hole spread is.

jon kip
http://jonkip.com

player of music, mostly written by dead people and played on a toy that everybody's Uncle except my nephew's has the good sense to keep safely out of sight in a drawer.