Re: [Harp-L] Neil Young, Water & Marine Bands

On Apr 23, 2014, at 3:28 PM, robert <harpbob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ……..I was practicing the other day on an older 270 and the slide was "sticky" so I applied water liberally to the back of  the slide, mouthpiece facing the floor so as to not get water into the harp itself. Anyway, I didn't wait as long as usual before playing and noticed a nicer sound coming from the harp………….

The reason that the sound improved is that the water filled the slide clearance, sealing the leakage between holes.  Unfortunately, the effect lasts only as long as the water does.

Hole-to-hole leakage through the slide is by far the most important factor affecting chromatic performance.

Vern