Re: [Harp-L] Equal temperament

The Well Tempered Clavier were keyboard pieces composed in all 12 keys for keyboard (harpsichord) and ushered in the concept of playing in all keys equally. I believe Bach conceived of the ability for the keyboard to play in all 12 keys equally. Perhaps temperament concept caught up to his vision.

-----Original Message-----
From: jross38 <jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Apr 1, 2014 9:21 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Equal temperament

Phil wrote:
"The concept of equal temperament has been around for centuries and has just
gone in and out of popularity. Probably Bach's The Well-Tempered Clavier is what
cinched the deal. "

Except probably not.  It's questionable what temperament Bach intended (hotly
debated at that) and 12-tone equal temperament doesn't seem to have really taken
off till the more heavily chromatic Romantic music of the 19th century
(certainly not in organs, for instance).

As for harmonicas, I can't stand the sound of equal tempered chords.  Well,
mostly the major thirds.  Which is why I almost never play chords on a
chromatic.  Splits, but not chords.  Also, I think fjm is very much on to
something; if you haven't played a harp in 7-limit just intonation, you really
need to try it.

JR Ross
(Still trying to figure out a good chromatic harp layout for 19-tone equal
temperament)