[Harp-L] Earliest Country Harmonica

Dear Friends,

In discussion of the earliest country recordings i believe i can add some
history to your discussion. (with a tip of the hat to Winslow, Glen and Pat)

All my research points both *Henry Whitter & Vernon Dalhart *as having
recorded the earliest country harmonica.

While Dalhart recorded dozens of different versions over many years and on
many different labels. Vernon Dalhart's *The Wreck on The Old Southern
97*(later changed to The Wreck of The Old 97), was recorded for Victor
Records
on* August 13th, 1924,* by then Dalhart had already recorded over 108
different sides, ranging from Tin Pan Alley stuff, to Hawaiian, Sentimental
and Hillbilly (Country). This singular recording, gets the credit as being
the earliest country harmonica record.

But as they say in Yiddish: *Di Mayse Hot Shoyn a Bord *(This story has a
beard!)

The old 97 paired with The Prisoners Song were *massive hits *for Dalhart
and I mean massive for the times.

The old 97 literally propelled Dalhart (W/Carson Robinson) into the
limelight. (Dalhart had recorded over 108 sides prior to old 97, so he was
a known commodity and dare i say, i am pretty sure he played even *earlier
country harmonica* than the old 97 on record, but i have to comb thru the
78's i have to be certain (i have collected Dalhart 78s for years now).
What we know is he was in on sessions as early as

The problem with this story is that Henry Whitter recorded 97 on *March
24th, 1924 *for Okeh Records (40015), listed as The Wreck On the Southern
Old 97 and Lonesome Road Blues.

What this means is that Dalhart heard Whitter's version and thought he
could do a better job some 4-5 months after its initial release.

Funny thing, everyone thought they could do better than Whitter, though his
records sold well, he did not hit his stride as a musician/harmonica player
until his 1927-1929 pairings with *G.B. Grayson as Grayson and
Whitter*(their recordings together for Gennett and Victor are today
regarded as
classics amongst lovers of old time music)

For those who ponder why this is important, there are some interesting
facts
surrounding this tune as one of the earliest country harmonica recordings.

1) Whitter's Okeh recordings were crude at best compared to the superior
quality of Dalharts Victor recordings.

2) Henry Whitter is well known as having inspired many a country singer to
try his hand at singing due to his lack there of, versus Dalhart who was a
trained singer and appealed more to the urban masses.

3) Dalhart's singing and strong harmonica work, alongside Frank Ferera's
Solid guitar shined in comparison to Whitter's mediocre guitar and
harmonica (played together)(we can credit him with some of the earliest
rack playing though).

*Bottom line*, people were drawn to the Dalhart version because it was
highly professional. Whereas, Whitters' was given credence simply because
the song itself was a good tune and folks recognized that, even *if* they
did not enjoy the delivery.

In the larger scheme of things between 1922 and 1929 Southern String Band
Music, Songs of the old home place, etc. (Hillbilly) were really starting
to take off as public consumption of this music surged. Amongst this crowd,
were many notable early harmonica players who'll never got the credit they
deserved:

Here's a partial list of  some of my favorite Hillbilly groups who used *
harmonica* in case any of the list readers would like to do some more
research listening:

Da Costa Woltz's Southern Broadcasters
*Ernest Stoneman's Blue Ridge Corn Shuckers *(a favorite early rack player
circa 1928)
Paul Miles and his Red Fox Chasers
Doctor Humphry Bates and his Possum Hunters
Carolina Tar Heels (Gwen Foster)
The Plehal Brothers (Polkas, Reels, and instrumental tunes)(not quite
hillbilly but notable)

Later:
Pegram and Parham (Harmonica and Banjo Duets)
Woody Guthrie (yep! I said Woody Guthrie, he never got any credit for his
understated rack playing)

By the time radio came to the fore, the harmonica masses in the deep south
and beyond were hearing the likes of De Ford Bailey, Dr. Humphry Bates,
Herman Crook and *years later: *Onie Wheeler, Wayne Raney, Lonnie Glosson,
Jimmie Riddle (Grand Old Opry & Hee Haw-TV era), *then much later: *Charlies
McCoy, Mickey Raphael and Mike Stevens (Grand Old Opry)(Obviously i am
leaving out a lot of good players, but i listed these just to show the
evolution of Country Harmonica.

While Glen Weiser's thread asked about the first country harmonica
recording, i am compelled (for the sake of those who are interested) to
mention some contemporary country players who stand today as some of the
genres finest proponents;

Dave Rice (Old Time Harmonica Master)
http://www.allroadsleadhome.com/davidrice.html

Mark Graham  (World Class Player of early blues, string band, Celtic,
Klezmer and Country)
http://www.mongrelfolk.com/

Wailing Wood
http://www.wailinwood.com/

Bob Bovee (Early Country, Fiddle Tunes and String Band)
http://www.boveeheil.com/

and many, many others whom you may already be aware of.

If you enjoy country harmonica history, I have written extensively on the
subject and you can find other articles i have written out there on the
net, most notable is my article titled: *Puffing and Blowing:* The
Harmonica in Old Time Music

http://www.oldtimeherald.org/archive/back_issues/volume-10/10-7/index.html.

To close i am linking an obscure bluesy version of the old time southern
folk/fiddle tune *Shorting Bread,* remade by me,  Jim Liban (my mentor) and
Steve Cohen (the Milwaukee Harmonica Mafia). I am leading the tune with the
brilliance of Jim & Steve weaving in and out and man, Its a long ways from
Whitter's Old 97!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqsJshwXL6c

Harmonically yours,

Lil Rev