Re: [Harp-L] A tipping point for used Digitech RP prices?

When you're internationally known, it is a lot easier to get a good back
line when needed.  You also generally have access to a solid combo of mics
as well.  In addition, you are using a lot of different PA's if you're
playing big stages - can't always guarantee enough mixes, etc.  On the
other end, there aren't many blues acts playing really big stages even
compared to cover bands...Most players probably put a ton of money into
gear, but NOT good PA gear.  There are a few like MadCat and Billy Branch
who haven't relied on tubes alone - and some that use tube-based gear that
emulates an amp. You also have to factor in the basic psychology of playing
blues harmonica nowadays.

Harmonica is a small sample size, but there are many a guitar player who
have forgone lugging a traditional amp in lieu of other options.  What
makes this less viable with harmonica is the fact that is isn't meant for
harmonica.  Granted, most amps aren't either, but you can often modify
those easier than some of the digital gear out there.  The fact that
harmonica can cause feedback adds a variable to the equation that can be
very hard to control.  For example, my main rig for the last three years
has been mic to pedal to powered speaker.  While very handy with a small
footprint, as I also sing, the cost of said rig is similar to that of a
dedicated harp amp.  The benefit to me being I don't have to lug an amp.

Personally, after trying a lot of stuff, I like the analog amp emulators
from Tech 21 the best.  I also really like the HarpBreak from LoneWolf.
 Most the time, though, I just play straight to the PA sans any pedals.  I
do usually prefer specific mics and still cup the mic (SM58 or SM57),
though.

Bottom line, though, is on a decent stage 99% of people in the audience
don't care and can't tell the difference...in fact, many of those who do
have a preference will prefer the non-amp route assuming the FOH mix is
more balanced than relying on amps for FOH volume.  At least, that has been
my experience.

If I toured and had the ability to always sound check and set up early, I'd
totally go the amp route.  I don't, though, and I have a a great level of
tone control from stage in an ultra small footprint that sounds great, is
very diverse, and very easy to work with relative to others.