Re: [Harp-L] A tipping point for used Digitech RP prices?

Hi, Bob

I suspect you'll hear opinions to the contrary but I have played both. The RP is a wonderful way not to have to carry an amp. But an RP (or ANY amp modeler) and a PA is no substitute for a good tube amp like an SJ. They just don't sound the same. The "real thing" is smoother, fatter, warmer, bigger and WAY easier to hear on stage without feedback issues. Modern PA's don't have tubes - everything in their design is about making clean sound. So you use the pedal to manufacture digital simulations of tube distortion, speaker distortion, speaker cabinet resonance…..and then hope the PA reproduces them accurately. But they were still digital simulations to begin with. Some day I'll be too old to lift my tube amp. But I ain't there yet!!!

There's probably a reason that the vast majority of the most famous blues players still haul real tube amps to their gigs. (I'm saying vast majority to allow the possibility, but I can't think of a single internationally known blues harp artist who uses an amp modeler through a PA.)

/Greg
http://www.blowsmeaway.com