Re: [Harp-L] Grégoire Maret

Hi Martin -

I know you're not alone based on conversations I've had with some other folks.

All I can say is that I've seen him play live many times and I'm blown away by his music, his sensitivity, his originality, and not least of all his incredible chops.

So, big surprise, a guy comes along with a unique (and in my view sophisticated) approach to the instrument and doesn't connect with everyone ;-). But there's a reason he's been employed over the years by so many esteemed musicians and it obviously has nothing to do with his (lack of) popularity. I can only imagine that he's actually touched these people with his playing.

I was perhaps lucky that my introduction to his playing was seeing him in a small jazz club here in Santa Cruz a number of years ago when he was playing with Dapp Theory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0GxXBBqAcE). I found their music infectious and in this context his playing really drew me in. Years later, subbing for an ailing Toots in San Francisco, playing with Toot's band, I got to see another side -- Maret paying a soulful tribute to the harmonica master. It was gorgeous and obviously full of love for Toot's legacy.

As for what he's up to, if you haven't heard his solo album, or his album with Andy Milne ("Scenarios"), perhaps it would shed some light to give a listen. Or perhaps not. I have no idea why only some people connect with his playing, but we're talking about music after all, and that's the nature of the beast.

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com