Re: [Harp-L] Seydel Repair Options

> Your conclusion is true but I disagree with the reason that you give: "This is because people have a tendency to..once they have reached the lowest level they need to remove the scratches, will tend to ease off the rest of the length.

An amount of thickness removed from the part of the reed that bends near the rivet will lower the pitch much more than the same amount removed at the tip will raise the pitch.  That is because the stiffness near the rivet is related to the third power of thickness and the mass of the tip is related to the first power of thickness.

There is no reason to polish near the tip because reeds don't bend or crack there.

Vern