Re: [Harp-L] Seydel Repair Options

Stress concentrations can occur at abrupt changes in cross section.  Polishing can avoid them.  Thus there is a basis for believing that polishing can affect longevity.  However, measuring this effect would not be easy.  It might be present but insignificant.

An experiment or study to determine the effect of any treatment or material on the longevity of reeds would be difficult and expensive.

It would require a statistically significant number of treated (polished) reeds and an equal number of untreated (unpolished ) but otherwise identical reeds as a control.  Then you would need a machine to blow them under controlled pressure until they failed.  The difference in times between when half of each group failed would then be an indicator of longevity.

You could not draw any valid conclusions from a few harmonicas played in the usual manner.

Vern