Re: [Harp-L] 4th tips

I looked over your two posts and probably agree with 105% of what you said.

What possibly makes it difficult to understand is that you're talking head arrangements. And for some people, this is like doing long division in their heads.

Basically, 4th position (A minor) is the relative minor of C. In other words, the A minor scale uses the white piano keys of the key of C. Instead of starting on the C note; start on the A note and play the white keys until reaching the next A.

The key to understanding positions is the Circle of Fifths, which starts clockwise from C (no sharps) and goes up a fifth to G (1 sharp) and then to D ( 2 #s), then A (3#s) and E (4#s). Most people now agree with the Circle of Fifths. So much for the naming convention.

What makes this Circle of Fifths theory/explanation problematic is the fact that due to the limitations built into the Richter layout, some of the keys in the Circle of Fifths are minor.

What might make 4th position easier to understand is to write on a melody in standard music notation with harmonica under it like David
Barrett does on his web site and in his dozens of books published by Mel Bay.

By having the tab/notation of a song, it's just a matter of playing it back to understand how it sounds.

Like somebody once said at SPAH, music is like third grade math.

Phil