Re: [Harp-L] Is it my ears or does the chromatic sound different? Not as rich & soulful or what?

I play, or attempt to play (in addition to harps diatonic and chromatic)
steel guitar. No, I don't play pedal-steel. A lot of the older guys (most
of whom are now dead)
used to say that you could pick the player more easily on non-pedal steel
than with pedals. That's because the PSG is a machine, and
the non-pedal is all about hands, and the person playing.
The chrom, similarly, is more of a machine than the diatonic, and as it is
strictly a 'single reed' instrument (ie there aren't two reeds interacting)
the bends are more limited.
However, I don't know any diatonic players, personally, who don't dig
Stevie Wonder, who really makes every note sound like a voice.
The chrom, as played by the likes of Little Walter and a lot of other
players since, can sound very funky, played in 3rd position.
The instrument is, by it's nature, a more musically complex thing, and if
it's rock or funky blues you like, then its 'pure' tone might not naturally
appeal to you.
Keep listening!
RD

--