Re: [Harp-L] Re: New technique

I checked this video out today, very interesting stuff.  The only thing it has in common with Dave Gage's technique is that tongue switching is involved. At least the last time I checked him out, Gage uses tongue switching to create rapid back-and-forth motion that is incorporated into ascending or descending lines--for example, a line that's articulated as a series of ascending alternating 6ths.  Very different from what's going on here.

Rick's technique certainly adds a unique sound to the harmonica vocabulary.  Any roughness can be excused as an inevitable byproduct of pushing the player and the harp to the limits of known technique.  Very cool and nicely done.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick