Re: [Harp-L] re: Huang harps

That´s a fair point, Giuseppe.
  But I may diverge from you insofar as that "the harp (per se) is a fairly inexpensive thing": This is true of you´re
1) satisfied with one ("standrard") harmonica
2) don´t treat in a way that wears it out (not your way, I know, but certainly My Way),
3) find customization & all that jazz completely out of the question (I´m afraid even that is My Way, non-voluntarily),
4) don´t play a whole lot.

If a fire starts in my apartment my first item to rescue is my briefcase with gigging harmonicas. There´s money there. (Then I make a quick return for the computer and some expensive booze -- the rest, well.)

Huang has proven it´s value to me in a very concrete manner. About four years ago I took out four new D harps as practice instruments: one Marine Band, one LO, one called Folk Blues (cheap Chinese crap) and one Huang Silvertone. I thought I´d devote roughly the equal playing time to them all.
  First to go: Marine Band (hole B9). Then Folk Blues (B6). Then LO (B9). They are all scrapped, long very long time ago.
  The Silvertone still works, played it today. (Only a very light tune-up on 3D some months ago.)

As for "advanced" features, it easily lends itself to OB´s, beating the others by a long shot. Plays fast and smooth and -- lasts.
  It cost about one third of the MB and LO, roughly the same as the Folk Blues (bought it online from Farrell, but it had been sitting in a drawer before use).

For me, the Harmonica Terminator, that´s a very persuasive aspect of the Huang. But yes, it sounds thin played acoustically -- but I happen to be of the firm opinion that a (diatonic) harmonica should always be played with microphone, cupped and EQ´ed and that evens out some of the tinnyness.

Wish they were still here.

A presto,
Martin