Re: [Harp-L] re: Huang harps

On Jun 25, 2013, at 7:15 AM, martin oldsberg wrote:

>  "I'm a little puzzled as to why someone would want to practice on an
> instrument they consider to be inferior to the instrument they prefer to
> perform with. Why bother?"
> Pete Sheridan
>
> Ever heard of money?
> /Martin

This is a good point Martin. A very good point. But here's the dichotomy. The harp (per se) is already a fairly inexpensive thing.
This means that there are a few possible adjustments. Either a person could buy a few LESS of the more expensive harps, OR
view harps as tools. And depending on how much 'harp work' a person does..acquire harps according to that set of criteria.

When I worked construction I put a lot of miles (read hours) on my tools. So, I found it false economy to buy cheap tools. I mean,
they just didn't last. And we lived in a 100 year old house.  Now today, inasmuch as I am a retired old man in (finally) new house.
I don't even NEED tools, and so I can get away with junk. The same goes for my harmonica work. Customs would be waste of
money..for me.

It's pretty obvious that I ain't getting any better, so what's the point. BUT, having established that, if a person IS really giving the
whole harmonica thing a big effort, putting in the time, practice, gigs, mileage, I think they should at the very least try to stay UP a
bit in the 'quality' of their tools (read harps).

I'm not saying a body shouldn't be frugal. There are a few models out there that can fill basic needs, but going really cheap? I
don't believe in it.