Re: [Harp-L] Why Musicians Hate Harp Players

I play with a jazz combo, a piano/harmonica duo and (mostly) a blues band. What and how much you play depends on the group, but keep in mind that the harmonica is not a very good rhythm instrument.

In the case of the Jazz combo, I mostly shut up except for the head and my solo. But, you know, that holds whether I am playing harmonica or trombone.

The piano/harmonica duo has me singing most of the time, so I can't play too much.

The blues band is a different story. We are 4 pcs. (harmonica, guitar, bass and drums.) I am not the primary singer. I have no choice but to play some rhythm. particularly when the guitar is playing lead - I have a some low harmonicas for that purpose. I play a counter melody sometimes when the guitar player is singing, but I back waaaay off.

Here is the basic rule for knowing when and what to play: LISTEN!!! If you are doing that properly, you will know when to play and when to lay out.

-LM
BTW, my mike is from Greg H. I cannot imagine a better one. A high-output crystal mike through a AFB Plus, overloading slightly the front end of my (miked) Champ. Great sound. Ability to "let the amp do the work" also adds to the life of my reed plates.