[Harp-L] Re: Shifted Richter Inversions or SBS tuning (see "bendability" thread of 2006)

> I replied to a message about Steve Baker Special tuning about a month ago and  mentioned I've had a couple 10-holers configured for cross harp starting on 1 draw.. (holes 2-11 of the SBS.) Like this:
>
> Blow: E G C E G C E G C E
> Hole: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
> Draw: G B D G B D F A B D

Interesting.

>  These shifted Richter tunings help me capture blues runs by alto sax players who can cover the range of a low D harp holes 1-9: D3-A5.

Ah.  I've had 10-hole SBS which just start on the tonic, but I came at it from a purely harmonica perspective (particularly chugging in two octaves) not a transposing one.

> I looked to see if anyone on the list had similar ideas. I searched the harp-l archives and found the thread "bendability" in which Jonathan Ross commented as follows:
>
> //
> I've been thinking lately about retuning some so that the
> tonic is in the second hole rather than the first to get around this.
> Thus, I'd have a C-harp with this layout:
>
> Blow: G C E G C E G C E G
> Hole: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
> Draw: B D G B D F A B D F
>
> Actually, I'd probably tinker with this a bit anyway, just to fine-tune
> it, but you get the basic idea--while the blow note in hole 1 would be
> G, the key would still be C because the blow chord is still a C chord
> (just it starts with the second inversion).
> //
>
> There isnât much else out there on this topic yet.
> I would love to hear from those who have tried tunings like those described above, or with harp-tuning experience.

Wow, I have no memory of this or what I was going for.  I don't think I've actually gone ahead and tried it, certainly don't have any sitting around.  I like your idea better on paper--getting a full chord starting on G would be better at least for how I'd use it.

> What is the feasibility of raising a draw note a major third on brass or stainless reeds for holes 8 or 9? I would working with low harps such as Low F, Low Eb. I guess Iâll find out.

You can do this, but I would tend to think you might be better reed swapping at that point, at least I would be.  Then again, I pretty much hate working on harps lately--no patience left, as it's too much like my work.

JR Ross