Re: [Harp-L] Toots called Howard a name

Yes, I realized that after I sent it. But I didn't correct it at the time because I didn't think it was worth the band width.
Toots was 18 when Belgium was invaded. A..He was undraftable because he was asmatic. B.. It was all moot as Belguim surrendered in 28 hours.
I had 2 uncles fighting in Belgium in 44 (and a father in Italy). One was the same age as Jean Batiste ( & wounded), and the other a year younger ( & killed). So, yes you are correct.
That would make Toots about 91. I just lost the uncle that was his age.

As for his best work, again, I think you are correct. 'Best' is hard to quantify, but some of his stuff around the late 50s was so out into orbit in terms of pushing the limits of 'rolling' the chord structure(s), that I have a hard time imagining anyone who could even dream to come close. His later stuff, while more mature and polished, is not in the same league. BUT, having said that  I have been watching one Yvonnic Prene for several years, and in my (humility...and stomach churning illness, I must add), in this era of talking about who or whom is going to inherit this one or that ones crown, I see Prene as being deserving of a 'throne of his own', so to speak.

He is what I have I have been preaching for years. Namely becomming ONE with your instrument, he has, just Like Wikus Van der Werwe 'melded' with a Prawn in the movie District 9, Prene has become an entirely new breed of human/harmonica.

Just my opinion.... smokey-joe