Re: [Harp-L] Blues Birdhead WAS is it my ears or does the chromatic sound different?

Yeah...Jazz Gillum falls into this category too, or at least some of his
stuff. It's a bit like the difference between cats like Blind Blake, Leroy
Carr and Scrapper Blackwell, Casey Bill Weldon, and all those urban and
'urbane' blues guys and, on the other hand, Robert Johnson, Charlie Patton,
Son House,et al, who represent a more primitive country sound. Rhythm
Willie, Blues Birdhead and Jazz Gillum tended towards the jazzier, urban
sound. That music seemed to disappear after the 'thirties, and the country
sound took over, even when it moved to Chicago and got amplified. Since the
white audience took over the blues, it has melded with rock, and most
people tend towards the amplified rock/blues thing, which has it's roots in
the 'primitive' country sound, rather than the slick city sounds.
RD

--
Rick Dempster
EÃâÅResources/Serials