Re: [Harp-L] Carbon Fiber Reeds, 3D printing, plastic metal

Great! Somebody who has done it!
Because of the extremely high modulus, you have to make them extremely thin to get the same pitch. Our fibers were about 7 micron in diameter. If somebody wanted to build a reed with the proper ply layout my estimation is that you would almost need to compose layers as thin as the diameter of 1-2 fibers. I think we can more or less say, that carbon fiber composites are not really suitable for making reeds. I would rather look at steel instead.

________________________________
 From: Harvey Berman <cscharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 5:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Carbon Fiber Reeds, 3D printing,    plastic metal

I tried Carbon Fiber Reeds. I took intake reeds from a racing motorcycle, and
cut harmonica Reeds out of them. In order to get them to sound, I had to make
them real thin at the rivet end, and when I got them to sound, the tone was real
High and thin. A one blow, sounded like a 7 blow, and without much character.
The reed was really thin, and I doubt that it will hold up.

Harvey Berman
www.harveyharp.com