Re: [Harp-L] 0-80 x 1/16" screws for reed replacements

On Feb 20, 2013, at 12:33 PM, Frank Evers wrote:
>  Well, I'm not
> actually sure what the  0-80 means but i'm usually very fine with these
> screws.

o-80 is an sae (society of american engineers) nomenclature for 0=shaft dia, and 80=number of threads per INCH. Of course this would be slightly different from metrics.

> Way, way cheaper are these ones:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bhscdmk
>
> They are M1,6x3mm. M1,6 is slightly (!) bigger than those 1/16" you
> are searching for, but probably still useful.

1/16th inch = .0625x.254 = 1.5875 mm. This screw is so close to 1.6mm that it 'could' be used were it not for one other important fact. Because the metric screws are
...well, they're metric, the threads are cut according TO metrics. And the threads come out to 30 per cm OR 76.2 per inch equiv. It would be tricky to drive 76.2 threads
into an 80 thread hole...even though your shank size is actually infinitesimally smaller. Sooo, in conclusion, if you convert one to another, you will need a tap.

I have SEEN this on harmonica repairs. Usually where someone uses an eyeglasses or watch screw that is really close. Then they wind up stripping the receiver part.
And the 'receiver' part (i.e.  reed plate) is a lot harder to fix than an 'installed' (usually a reed) part.

smo-joe....just trying to help