Re: [Harp-L] Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson's timed vibrato

For that song I'm in total agreement with Winslow, Iceman and fjm. They amongst a few others are the sages of Harp-l and all three have been here as long as I, circa 1994. All three are amazingly advanced players and also have a HUGE knowledge of the harmonica.

The song in question is on a D in A cross and to get good sounding bends/sounds out of a D, one has to use their throat.

I've been a HUGE Canned Heat fan since I was teen and after I first picked up a harp I learned about the real Blind Owl. One of my all- time faves and mostly because he's always in the pocket and doesn't overplay. Not too mention that he always has a great tone somewhat due to the prime'56 Bassman's that he could get for $25.

The vibrato on "Goin' Down Slow" is throat but much of the vibrato on "Help Me" (from the same album) is from the tongue as well as the throat.

Can one of you direct me to where I can get a copy of his biography? I'd appreciate it much.

Winslow - you still owe me two more issues of that wonderful '90's magazine you put out. I think you owe me November and December 1996. :-)

Fish tacos... Yum! I'm all about that.

Fish tacos and some acoustic blues on a Baja beach, yeah, I'm all about that!