Re: [Harp-L] embossing a pocket pal

On Dec 19, 2013, at 2:54 PM, Music Cal wrote:

> Hi Joe
>
> Not much risk. It cost 6 bucks. I am just doing it to gain experience. Seems like using a punch could bend the plate. How about a modified set of pliers?

First you need a hard surface. I use an anvil. Then you need a SQUARE rod. It has to be almost 1/8" square. Then you punch from the OPPOSITE side of the reed. You set the punch 1/32" from the end of the slot. Striking the square punch will 'move' brass INTO the slot area.  Me? I wouldn't waste my time. I have only used it for 1 slot OR a reed that was too short but played well otherwise...if weak.

smo-joe