Re: [Harp-L] Charts for diatonic key/position

Jut look up circle of fifths on Google. You'll find several images of the circle of fifths.

How you use it: The key of the harp is first position. So on a C harp, C is first position.

Want to find out what positions play what keys on a C harp?

The position numbers go up as you go clockwise around the circle, starting at the key of the harp. For instance, the next place on the circle after C is G, and G on a C harp is 2nd position. Next is D, and that's 3rd position on a C harp. And so on.

What if you want to play a tune that's in A but want to play it in, say, third position but don't know what harp to use? Then you start with the key of the song, label that with the position number, and go counter-clockwise around the circle until you get to 1, which tells you the key of the harp.

So if you're playing a tune in A and call that third, the next stops going counter clockwise are D (2) and then G (1). So to play a song in A in third position, you'd use a G harp.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance