[Harp-L] Working on groove

> Often the technical difficulties of playing the harp get
> muck up the execution of my groove despite my feeling for the groove being
> good. So, how does one work the execution?
>
> MusiCal

the simple answer to "how does one work the execution?" is : Get Better.

A more useful, but still not magic, answer is to ...oh, yeah, never mind,  it's the same, but more: "Get (more) Better"

You want to have Reserve Skills. That means that if you have skills that are WAY more than you need, then playing anything below that level is a piece of cake, and for that stuff, you have room to relax and add musicality. A Plus, in my book. You're not "just hanging on for dear life", you're letting the music happen...

And the goal becomes to play the music, rather than playing the harmonica.

By definition, It's hard to play just past your comfort zone, on any instrument. You just have to work every day to push that to new levels....

So,  you gradually find more and more difficult passages to really learn, and gradually, what used to push your limits, won't, and you'll set a higher bar. Then you can relax, groove intact, and make music.

The chromatic machine can be studied just like the expensive instruments, and the learning techniques apply just the same. There are a few physical differences, but mostly the learning techniques are the same.

But I think most chromatic players skip that part, enjoying the immediate fun times. And, if it fits your goals, that's just fine. One can have great fun at many skill levels.

On the other hand.... It's a really good feeling to look at a passage and say "that USED to be difficult for me, I can't for the life of me, remember just WHY".

Chromatic Harmonica is easy to dabble on, but really difficult to achieve the levels of skill that Players of "Regular" instruments can achieve. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of clarinet players able to do great things with (and, at times, against)  Mozart, but a much smaller group of Outstanding Chromatic Harmonica players able to raise The Bar.

It's not easy. But it's the musician's job to make it sound easy....

kind of a fun process, for me, anyway.... I'm a late starter on harmonica, and have never had so much fun.

HINT: Being retired with time really helps.

ok, I"m done.... that's about two minutes of your lives you'll never get back...
jk

http://jonkip.com