Re: [Harp-L] Reeds

I trust I've got this right; Michael Timmler, from Hohner, on his recent
visit to Melbourne, Australia, with Howard Levy, told the attendees of a
workshop that it is best to keep the reed as straight as possible. He
called on us to imagine a swinging door that can swing back and forth
through its point of closure, and pointed out that vibration caused by a
curved door closing, would be less than the more sudden closure of a
straight door. To do this, he recommended bending the reed from as near as
practically possible to the rivet.
When I asked him about the risk of inducing stress in the reed through this
method (rather than inducing a more gradual curve) he said simply that it
was a case of trading one risk or disadvantage for another.
Don't know that Michael will see this, so, as I say, I hope I understood
him correctly.
RD

--
Rick Dempster