Re: [Harp-L] Reeds

The "gap" is the height of the under side of the reed tip above the plate.

The "profile" could be the thickness variation of the reed along its length.  However, I suspect that you refer to the root-to-tip shape of the reed.

The reed should be parallel to the plate at the root and arc upward smoothly to the tip.  It should not dip into the slot. This shape limits the air flow near the root where it is ineffective at producing vibration.

I once quizzed Sissy Jones about this and this is my understanding of her answer.  It is what I use.

Her technique for gapping a straight reed is to put the tip of her index finger on the reed to restrain its bending near the root.  Then lift the tip enough to produce the desired gap.
If you are inexperienced at this, start with a short lift that may not produce any gap.  Then use many successively higher lifts until the desired gap is reached.  Try to avoid overdoing it so that you have to bend it the other way.

My experience is with chromatics.  I am unacquainted with any arcane shapes used to facilitate bending and overblowing.

Vern