Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 1:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Three questions to the experienced busker

1: If you're accumulating a lot of money you should take some out periodically and try to hide it. Like Bart said, always leave some in. I always thought of it as a matter of safety, kind of like using a drop safe. If your guitar playing friend has a less expensive guitar he likes I'd advise he use that one. I was never robbed but I've known people who were.

2. Don't worry about how you dress. In a tourist area stage suits might work. I'm talking about stuff from thrift stores that was stylish or cheesy 20 years ago. Depends on how you feel about costumes. I always wanted to wear a gorilla suit, but it never seemed practical. I normally wore jeans and a shirt. As long as you look like you've bathed recently, it's not a big deal.

3. "Listen to the Mockingbird" is one song that people respond well to, particularly with the Three Stooges dah dah dah dah da da ending.

Here's a free extra tip. Ask for money frequently. Work out some simple gags like "This music is sponsored by listeners like you." Try to make people feel like you're not nagging. I guarantee that asking for money regularly in a nice way will get you twice as much as not saying anything at all. Your audience will turn over every couple of songs so people aren't too likely to be put off.