Re: [Harp-L] Three questions to the experienced busker

Hi, I would like to answer your first 2 questions. It's a long time ago, but I used to play in the streets of Europe a lot (not so much harmonica, but the answers stay the same) :

1) we always took the small rubish out. The idea was that people don't wanna look cheap themselves and they want to contribute what others gave as well. plus, you don't wanna give em the impression: 'oh, this guy is used to small coins, lets give him some more' or 'he is probably not very good cause he gets only small coins'.
We also emptied it from time to time. Don't let it get too full. But, if you empty it leave some bigger coins & some notes in there. That's for Europe cause in the US it'll probably all be notes.

2) Clothes: be yourself! Feel comfortable. You're not putting up an act, but your making the music you love! Well, that's what we did anyway. Your not a beggar either, but you're proud of what your doing. And you should be!!

Cheers!
Bart
the Netherlands

PS. stay away from very rich parts of town. You could have the idea that they can afford more. Well they do, but that doesn't mean you're gonna get it as well :-) The opposite is true.
We experienced it many, many times: the 'not so rich folk' or even very poor folks rÃally appreciate your music; you have a way better time; you meet and speak with more people; you make more friends, and you'll probably make more money in the process. But ... that last thing shouldn't be your first goal: Have fun; Experience and have a beer afterwards :-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "martin oldsberg" <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx>