Re: [Harp-L] Does anybody like the Suzuki UltraBend out of the box?

 I like mine!

The key of C  SUB 30 that I bought at SPAH works fine. I get a sound out of all 10 holes and the blow bends on the first 6 holes work. When I first got it blow 6 seemed a bit slow but today it works just fine. I just played a few block chords.

 I don't know if the SUB 30 is just tuned, equal tempered or a compromise tuning. Which means my Sabine STX-1100 chromatic tuner with its equal temperament amber, green and red LEDs only tell me how close the notes (reeds) sounding are to equal temp.

To me the main purpose of the SUB 30 is the additional blow bends. I would no sooner tape off the reed plate than I would tape over the first four holes on the harp. If you don't want the extra notes via low end blow bends and high end draw bends, another model harp is probably what you want.

(When the new Hohner Marine Bands came out a few years ago, there were comments on Harp-L about how terrible they were. Mine always worked great. No problems whatsoever then -- or now.)

I think over the decades I have had one harp reed go flat -- on a harp I used for teaching over several years. Other than that, my reeds never go flat and never wear out. Partly because I am not a heavy duty player who blows the reeds out of the harp -- I breathe thru my harps -- which probably extends the life of the reeds.

The feel (playability) of SUB 30 is different from the XB40 -- a little more restrictive in the blow bends. The XB40 is a little easier to blow bend -- which means it's like a slippery trombone and easier to get the noise between the notes.

I heard the number of SUB 30s that were available at SPAH -- less than 20?-- but I can't remember the number. Without knowing what the production run was, I suspect that the flawed harps represent only a few out of the batch. All I know is that I got one of the good ones.

Hope this helps,
Phil Lloyd