Re: [Harp-L] The Future of Blues Harmonica?

I agree with your ideas Matt. To clarify, what I meant in terms of the $30
was not more hand-tweaking, as I realize that would up production time
(including requiring some real training), but as you say, better
mass-production techniques that produce higher quality parts off the bat
(the comb flatness being a main one to me). If a harmonica is perfectly
airtight and no extra reedwork is done, it will play much better already
for the unknowing beginner, and for the customizer or rest of people who
tweak their reeds a little, for the most part only reed-work would be
required to yield a perfectly beautifully playing harp. If any of these
companies invested in such comb-flattening process, I think it would be
immediately apparent that their harmonicas are superior consistently. Best
case scenario, their sales improve because of that. Even better than best
case scenario, the other companies catch on and we have some real
instruments being produced across the board.

-Sam

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Matthew Smart <matthewsmart@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> [...]
>> out of the box harmonicas; a broken instrument that needs to be fixed to
>> be
>> useful.
>>
>> People may say that customized harmonicas really only matter for better
>> players, and that beginners shouldn't need them, but the reality is quite
>> the opposite. Advanced players can make music on worse harmonicas because
>> they already know the technique and are in this instance adapting an
>> understanding to a poorly-constructed tool/harmonica. It is crucial for
>> beginners to have a good instrument, because it is the fastest way to
>> actually understand what effect the motions you are doing have on the
>> instrument and the sound produced. If you are exploring the instrument or
>> trying to achieve a technique, and you make the motion that should in a
>> well working harmonica change the sound, but nothing happens because of a
>> poorly performing instrument, then two things happen; 1) You miss
>> the opportunity to learn about a certain embouchure/motion and how it
>> relates to the sounds you make, and 2) conversely, you learn that the
>> given
>> motion does specifically *not* produce the desired sound, even if it
>> really
>> *should* in a working instrument. This works to consistently actively
>> fight
>>
>> against anyone's attempt to learn or gain joy from this instrument. With a
>> working tool, however, you get feedback on the (no matter how slight)
>> effect of every motion you make and every exploration you embark on. In
>> this way you learn much faster and more efficiently, and have real
>> feedback
>> as to the purpose and creation of the movements and sounds you make.
>>
>> For these reasons, while I understand the argument to just be "fine" with
>> the progression of mass-produced harmonica quality, I don't believe enough
>> has been done yet as of this moment to warrant celebration. So many of the
>> new innovations (and I'm not including the sub-30 here, Brendan, because
>> I *
>> do* believe it is a cool and respectable active attempt by a company to
>>
>> advance the instrument) that we constantly see from companies have very
>> little to do with the actual play-ability of the instrument; color, comb
>> material, etc.... are things we see change every couple months with a new
>> name slapped on. What we rarely see is a new instrument whose selling
>> point
>> is actually guaranteed better playability and airtightness. This is what I
>> think we should be asking for, expecting, and celebrating when/if it
>> arrives.
>>

>> Sam Friedman
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM, mik jagger <harpomatic@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Mike, thank you for your review - it confirms my "suspicion" that it is a
>>> version of the xb40 - better or worse is to be determined by playing it,
>>> course. I'd probably like the smaller size, but as a player of xb40, I