Re: [Harp-L] Sonny Boy II & The Yardbirds

This is entirely subjective, but I cannot recommend that anyone buy this recording until they've heard it first. You might like it, but you might, like me, hate it. It might be on Spotify.

Sonny Boy's famous remark about playing with the young English rockers was something like "Those English kids wanted to play blues so bad - and they play it so bad."

I bought it on vinyl back in '67, felt ripped off, sold it to someone who liked it.

There you go.

My estimation of it has only gone down through 45 years of occasionally hearing it again. If you'd like to hear some very good live SBW2, I recommend the American Folk Blues Festival material, which was recorded on the same tour, only with master Blues musicians instead of boys who were just beginning to learn their craft. A few of the same English players recorded behind Howlin' Wolf and Muddy a mere five or so years later, and were wonderful. But not on that Yardbirds thing.

Man, I hate being crabby, but buyer beware.