Re: [Harp-L] Tuning by electroplating

Theoretically it should work, but there would be many practical difficulties:

- You would have to mask off the sides and the tip of the reed where you do not wish to add metal.
- The cost would be high
- The reed would be stiffer and the responsiveness would be different.
- Calibrating the process to produce the desired pitch would be a long process.

What about finding a way to attach a shorter, higher-pitched reed so its tip would vibrate in the tip end of the slot. Glue? Then you could fill any gaps or holes in the plate or slot at the fastener end with epoxy where you modified it.  That end is much less critical.

Organ reeds are raised in pitch by means of a thin spring wire that touches them near the rivet end.  They are tuned by moving the wire along the length of the reed. The closer to the tip, the higher the pitch.

Vern