Re: [Harp-L] which end is up on chromatic harmonicas

Straight or cross tuned doesn't matter much, and for some types you won't have much choice.

What you DO want is one that's solo-tuned, with a note layout that repeats exactly every four holes. Most are, but some come tuned like  standard diatonic, but with  slide. This will defeat the purpose of the usual chromatic sound, though those harps do get used now and then.

Most blues chromatic you hear is played in third position, which means that the band will be tuned one step higher than the harp. For instance, if the band is in D, you'd use a C chromatic. (if the band is in E-flat, just hold the button in, as that raises the pitch of the entire harmonica by a semitone).

Little Walter mostly used the 16-hole Hohner 64, which comes only in C, so he mostly played chromatic in the band key of D (though sometimes he'd sneakily switch back and forth between chromatic and diatonic, often using a G-harp).

Other players such as Bill Clarke and George Smith often played 12-hole chromatics, which come in several keys. So you might hear the band key of G being played in an F-chromatic, or C on a B-flat chromatic, for instance.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance