[Harp-L] Practice Makes Better -- Part 6

"Anti-Authority"

I wonder if I'm the only one who has a bit of an anti-authority streak.  Sometimes I resist practicing JUST BECAUSE someone told me I should, or must.  Sometimes I even rebel against MYSELF, when I tell myself that I should or must practice.  Even when I understand that practicing is in my own best interests, I still don't do it.

I have to resort to mental tricks to get myself out of this particular hole.

One is "Suit up and show up."  All I ask myself is the very tiniest of tasks, like taking a harmonica out of the case and putting it right back again.  That's all -- not even playing it.  The idea is to "reprogram myself" to do some practice-releated tasks until some part of me says, "Oh, alright, I'll play a little something."

Another trick I play on myself is to ask myself, "What happens if I practice [every day, today, once this week, etc.]?"  By turning the work into an experiment rather than an exercise in compliance, I can often get myself out of this mental trap.

Another is to give myself permission to practice anything EXCEPT what I think I "should" be practicing.  Just to get myself back in physical contact with the harp.  Something just for fun, or something comfortable and familiar.

I admonish myself to get my money's worth -- from my lessons, from my gear.

I invite myself to try something completely new or different.

I try to imagine what my life would be like if I NEVER practiced.

I take a day off.

I go to a jam and come face to face with how much better I want to be.

Other tricks or ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Elizabeth H. (aka "Tin Lizzie")