Re: [Harp-L] bluegrass chop?

Metronome practice is never a bad idea, but live practice is just as
important.

Back up comes in a lot of different ways.  It takes time to learn to feel
what is best at what moment.  Sometimes, not playing at all, is the best
choice.  Watch for those moments and seize them.

For playing "chops", I usually provide this guidance:
In bluegrass, in particular, the "chop" on the off-beat is owned by the
mandolin.
Do not overshadow the instrument that owns a part or you may create
confusion.

If there is no mandolin, then the banjo will try to fill in with its
pinched notes for chops.  The guitar will be heard, too, but, hopefully,
the downstroke on the guitar will not linger too long or there will not be
as crisp a sound for the "chop" as is normarlly desired.  If this is the
situation, continue to keep your "chops" sharp, balanced with the others,
and inside the realm created by the combination of the banjo and guitar.
Remember that the mandolin does this and try to pretend you are simply a
quieter mandolin.

For back up fills, I generally turn to the fiddle.  It can, and
occasionally will, "chop", but fiddlers more commonly provide harmonic
tones and occasional runs/fills underneath it all.  They generally provide
great guidance to common runs and how they can be applied, and often are a
great source of how to tastefully apply them, as well.

Remember, in a bluegrass band, only two instruments can really carry a long
tone: the fiddle and the harmonica.  As a consequence, the fiddle is a
nature guide to how the harmonica can blend and perform in balance with the
other bluegrass players.

Cara