Re: [Harp-L] Chuva Paulistana - generative orchestral jazz … or something like that?

Hi Jason,

The harmonica part is improvised, yes, 100%! It's kind of an experiment that I'm doing now for about 4 years to find ways to combine my a-tonal compositional background with a jazz oriented way of improvising.

Except the harmonica of course, all the instruments are form the Vienna Symphonic Library. I've started using that library about 3 years ago. Incredible stuff!

The process is something like this:
- the harmonic principles I chose from the Tone Clock (a-tonal patterns in the circle of fourths)
- I compose in Sibelius as if it is a classical score
- In Sibelius I can play the score by using a 2nd computer with all the samples in memory as if I have a symphonic orchestra at my disposal
- When the score is finished I export everything in midi format and work on the articulation and details of every individual instrument in Apple Logic
- Apply Logic is also the place where I add my harmonica part

Each piece is approximately 2 months of work to compose, adjust, fine tune, change, delete parts, etc. ... .

The whole album "Hidden Landscapes" is done like that.

Working on the last piece now in order to get the album mastered and released.

Abraços, Wim Dijkgraaf
http://www.wimdijkgraaf.com