Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Inappropriate harmonica [long]

What's more to be said after this story? Can anyone truly say they're not
highly discomfited? (One wants to have been there to have nicked the guy's
harp and unobtrusively tossed it out the door!)

I understand Glenn Weiser's being aware that he's a top-notch player at the
 bar, but it doesn't matter. Taking out a harp and playing along is still
gussing--and draws the attention to the Gus, instead of the band/player
onstage  where it belongs. It still comes off as an ego move.

The portability of our instrument most assuredly is part of the  problem:
would any of the pro-gussing people think it cool if I were  to haul my
keyboard into a venue, or a saxophone--and give it a whirl in the  middle of (or
all during) a performance? It's just as absurd for those  surrounding the
harp gusser in the audience to be subjected to his playing. They  came to
listen to the performer, not you. That's the bottom line and  it's even worse
when there's a great vocalist involved and the harpist is  playing
accompaniment a la Grant's story. By Gussing, you're stating that you  know better or
are better than the harp player onstage. Nope. If you were, you'd  be the one
onstage and not Gussing anonymously from the audience.**

**Michelle's story being an exception since she was invited.

I'd put money on the best players never behaving this way. Those like
Charlie Musselwhite, Jason, Chris Michalek, Dennis Gruenling, Steve Baker,  Joe
Filisko, etc. (just a few people I've met or known). I imagine they'd be
horrified at the prospect. IF they're recognized in the audience as being a
great harp player and invited up that's another scenario entirely, but
playing  along and/or asking to is poor form.

My .02 cents (although I'm likely to live out my life happily never being
in such a position.) ;)

Elizabeth
PS: showing the harmonica player at a 4th of July Mopar Show my chromatic
and mentioning that I'd been playing along with him IN MY CAR after he'd
finished doesn't fit since no one could hear me. We then played a couple of
songs together IN the parking lot and he invited me to play along with him
later at the microphone during the next break. That's an entirely different
scenario. It was for America the Beautiful (he focuses mostly on  patriotic
songs) and since he doesn't really enjoy being a solo act was  glad of the
support. I harmonized to his lead. We've become friends and I'm  working to
recruit him and his other harmonica playing friends for SPAH or to  begin a
new club out here.

Message: 1