Re: [Harp-L] slider troubles

Someday I am going to have a crown commissioned, upon it the words "King of the Jerryriggers" and give it to Joe so he can wear it as he types. I am but the apprentice, Joe is the master. He's  right about the safety pin, they make better springs than springs do.... This is the point where you need to tell us what kind of chromatic it is. If it's a Seydel, there is another possibility the spring may not be anchored correctly.  The Seydel springs are short, that, in theory makes em fast, but if they aren't anchored upon reassembly you can have that problem. They can ride up and you get the scratching.

What spring do I prefer, you ask? (insert sound of crickets) A little something I invented years ago and call the Elk River compound spring.  It's two external springs in tandem, one short, one long. As you push the slide in, you engage the long spring only, then as you push, you engage the short, stiffer spring. So when the spring is set up, at first the push is light and builds as you go and you reach maximum resistance at the end of the push. As the slide returns, the short spring gives it a heave at the beginning then the spring slows down as it comes out. I was inspired by the bow design of the Penabscot Indians.
 It's a very smooth throw and external springs are smoother anyway. I love it. They also look much awesomer.

Don't forget to tell us the make, now. Joe and I are in too deep on this project, ;)

David
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Sent from my iPhone