RE: [Harp-L] positions you can use on diatonic

Michael and Larry,
May I make an analogy simply to see if I'm understanding this conversation correctly?

Let's say positions are like a road map. You can't drive (play music) and not be on the map somewhere (assuming the map encompasses everything). But you don't have to refer to the map or necessarily keep from jumping from one spot to another on the map (without following the paths that join the streets).

It sounded to me like Larry said, "I don't use the map." And Michael said, "That doesn't mean you're not still on it."

Did I get it right? I'm not putting this out there to make peace--it's much more entertaining when you two disagree--I'm trying to see if I actually understand conceptually what's being discussed.

-Marc Molino