[Harp-L] Subject: SPAH - Winslow Yerxa

Exactly, Robert. Me too!

What does "hand chosen successor', 'current
management clique', 'chosen  to maintain the status quo' mean, anyway?

What IS this? What's going on?

This smacks of 'dirty politics' being played out on harp-l.

And not remotely true, kosher or nice.

As far as I know - and from what I've heard from other SPAH members,
Winslow decided on his own to finally run for SPAH President - no one pushed,
forced or even encouraged him unless it was on a personal level. I've watched
the three videos he did discussing the SPAH Presidency and why he's
running. In  fact - if he had NOT chosen to run - I had every intention of writing
in his  name on my own ballot since to my mind he's THE perfect and logical
next SPAH  President - based on his own long history with SPAH, his years of
hard work for  the organization and my knowledge of and personal
interactions with him. So much  for being 'hand chosen by a clique'.

I can assure everyone I'M decidedly not part of any SPAH clique. In fact,
far from it!

I also remember the last time the SPAH voters had a chance to vote OUT the
current SPAH President/VP and found out ages later that only a couple of
people sent in their ballots. This tells ME that the majority were perfectly
content with the current people they'd previously voted for and wanted them
to  STAY! Despite what anyone might believe, any SPAH member could have
written in  alternate names.

The current forward-thinking group headed up by Tom Stryker has done more
than their part - worked as hard as any previous SPAH administration has
ever  done - and these same people, the volunteers behind the scenes who get it
all  done on the ground with the Host Club, are there no matter what. THEY
are the  ones who are also very appreciated by people like me, and under
appreciated by  most attendees who have no idea how or why it's all managed,
but who just want  to show up and get something for their money which is, in
actual fact,  relatively little for a 4 day Festival. Your biggest expense
there is  transportation to and from, the Hotel costs, and food. If you're
close  enough to drive - it's even more affordable. The actual costs for SPAH
itself -  and what you get for what you've spent (performances, Seminars,
instruction, the  fabulous jazz and blues jams, Open Mics, the Banquet Dinner,
etc.) becomes  very affordable.

NOW, suddenly - it's become a 'campaign issue' to think of the Convention
as not-so-important. What? Of COURSE it's important - it's what SPAH is all
about!

It's what the majority of SPAH members look forward to all year - and make
our vacation plans for. In fact, speaking of 'the membership', I do believe
that  the 800+ members being bandied about as a trivial number only came
about due to  the efforts OF the current administration and their hard work,
since the numbers  ebb and flow due to attrition, people getting older and
leaving, etc. There are  myriad reasons why numbers fluctuate.

 THIS group are the ones who grew SPAH to what it is now, AND grew  SPAH
quite dramatically quite recently. This sudden talk of 'stagnation' is
complete nonsense as far as I'm concerned and I believe those making these  claims
know it full well. Tom Stryker's team which includes Winslow on the staff
side - who has been part of SPAH for a very long time, are responsible for
opening up the membership to expand well beyond our US borders, bringing in
players from many other countries feeling comfortable enough to come to the
US  for that glorious Annual festival AND beginning the whole
'Young-at-Harp' group  which has resulted in a new excitement with so many great young
players joining  the fold.

Everything I've read about the Cohen/Bachman team's vague proposals - even
today, seems to come down to 'the money'. This leaves a bad taste for me
personally. SPAH's never been about 'the money'. It's a voluntary
organization -  begun nearly 50 years ago by people who loved the idea of camaraderie
in  harmonica playing. It's grown and expanded but always WITH that basic
brother  and sister-hood. To now make it more about 'the money' doesn't fit MY
personal  concept of what makes SPAH the great organization I love so much.

Cohen/Bachmann keep harping on SPAH people wanting something 'else' during
the year. I'll tell you what else I already get for MY dues during the year
 apart from my very looked forward to copies of Harmonica Happenings:
constant  interaction with the HUNDREDS of friends I've met and made at every
SPAH  convention I've attended to the point I can barely keep up with the
emails;  online interaction with the 2 main harmonica lists/websites I choose to
stay  loyal to (which again fill my mailbox), and the fact that my own
harmonica  playing world continually expands precisely due to my yearly SPAH
attendance  (and even when I'd finally missed one single convention --it
scarcely made a  dent in my SPAH life).

Everywhere I go I tell people about SPAH and have brought quite a few
newbies into the fold. In truth, if SPAH were to become an everyday or every
week occurrence I'd be unable to keep up with it. I very much enjoy being a
member of this prestigious organization which I support. I HAVE a life
outside of SPAH and harmonica as most of us do, even the BOD. The absolute
beauty of SPAH is precisely because we are so many individuals who are drawn
together each year and so look forward to that Annual Convention which connects
 us --the siren call to the next City on the roster where we'll get to see
and  hear another - or more than one other on our list of famous players and
once  more, after a year, get to meet up with our beloved Harmonica friends.

Until and unless you've been doing this for a while you might not yet fully
 understand just how amazing and soul satisfying a process it is, this
'same time  next year' hugging goodbye then hello again a year later--this
'classy summer  camp for grown-ups', where you not only get to play harmonica
with the same  people, but catch up on each other's lives as well. It's akin to
a  brilliantly-run musical school reunion each and every year. Ain't
NOTHING like  it. It's Christmas and Thanksgiving rolled into one - a great big
bright shiny  package to open up, taking place in the middle of Summer, for
vacation. How  amazing! Why on EARTH would anyone want to change this in any
way just because  they have their own ideas? It boggles the mind.

Go do your own ideas, feel free. Just leave what works alone for the rest
of us to enjoy. There ARE precedents: Adam Gussow began his own harmonica
gathering, several others have done likewise. They didn't try to co-opt  SPAH
for their own purposes.

I've made my feelings known about this before and never once gotten a
response from either Bob Cohen or Warren Bachmann, someone I've known for years
and indeed been a very good friend to: IF their team wants to begin a new
type  of harmonica convention which has a 'fairgrounds' set up, meets weekly,
has a  huge online presence and expands exponentially, functioning side by
side with  SPAH? No problem - more power to them. However, this attempt to
completely  change SPAH into what they think of as 'their' vision sounds so
anti-SPAH it's a  crime - at least from my perspective as one who LOVES my
SPAH as it is and how  it keeps growing within its own unique footprint. Don't
even begin to think of  'fixing' what ain't broke, guys!

For me - Winslow's that singularly visible and always there to help person;
 at least ever since I attended my first SPAH in 2005. I've never seen the
man  sit down - always handling some crisis or another, and with equanimity;
on the  go, always patient with people asking questions, and invariably
soft-spoken and  kind (a most important trait in a SPAH President - for me,
anyway). And again,  this is all voluntary, yet he wasn't President or vice
President, 'only' there  to volunteer his help and running some of the
Committees later on in his SPAH  life.

I pay attention and take notes when I attend Conventions (have also gone to
 several Buckeyes, Garden State Festivals and Williamsburgh - so this
upcoming  SPAH 2012 will be my 14th harmonica convention - not too shabby for a
'newbie).  I've been videorecording and taking notes all this time. So far
only a couple of  the artists have been privy to any of the footage shot. At
some point  there'll be enough for a very unique compilation/perspective on
harmonica  conventions in general and I'm usually looking at who's doing the
'real' work  and focusing on 'what lies behind', unlike the majority who're
there purely to  have FUN..and fun it is. A Harmonica Convention is all
about sheer  fun.

Since both the former webmaster similarly sat on the current Board as
Warren was a staff member - who likewise has been intricately involved  with
SPAH for the last few years, what's the beef? Both have been involved in  the
'inner circle' compared to the rest of us who just pay our dues and show up
expecting to have a good time. They had far more opportunity than plain old
members like me to expand SPAH by active recruitment. If I can recruit
successfully in my own small way, why can't they? Why would their  vision
involve forcing board members to do it? It should be something we ALL do  as
members, and as far as I know most people do, AND take their SPAH membership
seriously.

As an extremely qualified and very nice human being, Winslow's LONG overdue
 - based on what I personally know to be his even temper, refusal to be
overly  baited even when some of us might actually hope he'd respond somewhat
in kind  <G> and just generally being the perfect person in the right place
at the  right time to lead SPAH along its true path.

Pie-in-the-sky ideas notwithstanding, I know where MY vote is going.
Salesmen are pretty good at pitching ideas, but - now where's the beef? All I've
heard are snide denigrations and 'vote for us and we'll figure out ways to
multiply the membership tenfold'; or 'vote us in and IF we don't do the job
 we won't run next time'. Are you serious? It doesn't work that way! So -
Thanks,  but no thanks!

I already know what we'd be getting with Winslow: someone who truly cares
about SPAH as a highly respected and respectable organization with a
wonderful  history and who has selflessly dedicated YEARS to the 'Preservation and
Advancement of the Harmonica' and will continue to dedicate himself to
growing,  expanding and taking us happily into the future. The man actually
LISTENS to the  membership as individuals. This tells me everything I personally
need to  know.

In my humble opinion and as a dues paying member of SPAH, comments like
those made publicly by Bob Cohen and his supporter do not belong on harp-l.
Run  on YOUR own merits as Winslow is doing - if you have them. Period. If
this kind  of campaigning is allowed, then 'the other side of the story' should
also be  allowed to be expressed here.

Elizabeth

:Message: 10