Re: [Harp-L] Key of song from Guitar Chords

Bill asked, "Doesn't the 1-4-5 first chord key rule apply often enough to be taught to beginning musicians
who are not interested in learning a lot of theory?"

I say yes.

At my own club meeting, when I say the chord progression is
4,4,1,1
4,4,1,1
5,4,1,1

The guitar players still screw it up half the time. They are so ingrained in playing the 1 chord first. So the example shown prooves that it is not a rule, but personal experience says a lot of people want it to be. You may want to say it's a 90% rule (?)

(for those interested, those are the chord changes to "Never Been to Spain" and "Going Down Slow" )

Jim Rumbaugh