 From: Rick Dempster <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx; Steve Baker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Toots preference for Eb & Bb

Maybe;
           But I think it's the possibility of a more legato style of playing that the flat keys on the chrom. afford. I bumble through (mostly) pre. WWII show tunes, and anything south of G (or D at a pinch)
leaves me spluttering for air. Then again, Db and F# are probably easier keys on the chrom. than on most brass or reed instruments.
           Anyhow, if I have to play in B, E, or A, I'm going to be reaching for a B or C# instrument.
RD

>>> Steve Baker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 14/03/2012 20:40 >>>
I assume Toots likes those keys because he's a jazz musician who was massively influenced by (and worked with) sax players. Many jazz tunes are written in those keys as they lay out well on the sax.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.european-music-workshops.com
www.harmonica-masters.de