Re: [Harp-L] When harp is your second instrument

On Mar 12, 2012, at 11:01 PM, Robert Hale wrote:

> This is a bit abstract, because I'm asking how you visualize your harp
> learning.

Doesn't seem abstract..to me

> WHAT YOU SEE
> A current student learning chromatic is making (verbal) comparisons to his
> previous diatonic experience.

Hmm, I don't think there IS a comparison. With a diatonic, you have to invent notes. Diatonic is harder.

> His observations are valid when I consider
> them, although I don't think of my harps this way. His first instrument is
> Trumpet, and sees his diatonic work in relation to it.

I don't see the corelation.

> My first
> "instrument" was piano, so both diatonic, and then chromatic "look like"
> keyboard to me. (The mental picture).

THAT makes sense.

> QUESTION
> What is your first instrument, and how does it affect your learning, and
> the way you communicate about harp now?

I started with a diatonic at 9. Only had it 13 days. While running for a streetcar to go to school in Trieste, it fell from my pocket and the second car ran over it. 3 1/2 years later I bought a chromatic. I played for several years but strictly by ear. Quit for 30 years during which time I tried clarinet, sax, then trumpet. I do not visualize any harmonica with any of them. When I started to read I started to visualize addresses. I see the chromatic as an apartment building.

I see apartments upstairs (top plate). Notes live across the hall (blow notes). Notes live on MY (mouth) side of the hall. Same for the lower floor (lower plate). The slide is basically stairs. You use it to change floors. I am a mailman. My job is to deliver the mail. I know all the addresses. I learn a tune and then I can picture the route in my mind. All of my instruments were tuned Bb. I use mostly a C and a Bb chromatic. For diatonic, I have a full set of Richters and half a set of smo-joe tuned.

With diatonic I visualize the missing notes as people who are basically homeless. The missing notes that I make are living under the stairs, in the utility closet, the linen closet, the boiler room, the fire extinguisher locker, etc.

I'm sure this won't help you...   smo-joe