Re: [Harp-L] Sax and Harmonica

Baritone harmonicas already exist, and they have a big, full sound.

But they also have big reeds and are built very differently from other harmonicas.

Both the Tombo Contrabass and the Swan Senior Bass are baritones, despite their misleading names. Their lowest note s C two octaves below Middle C.

Both are all-blow instruments with double rows of holes, the lower row being the notes of the C major scale and the upper row being the sharps and flats.

A much smaller version of a baritone harmonica is the out-of-production Hohner Polyphonia No.7. This all-blow, single-reedplate instrument has reeds only slightly larger than those found in a four-octave chromatic, yet it produces a full sound. e

Meanwhile, the Double-Low F 10-hole diatonics being produced by both Seydel and Hohner demonstrate that even the small diatonic format can be a viable chassis for delivering notes in the baritone range.

So far, no manufacturer has stepped up to the plate to develop a blow-draw baritone with a slide even though it is clearly feasible to do so, and even though many chromatic players have expressed the desire for such an instrument.

Winslow

VOTE Winslow Yerxa for SPAH president, with L J Atkison for vice president
Winslow for SPAH President (Facebook)

Winslow4Prez (YouTube)
Chair, SPAH entertainment committee
Chair, SPAH awards committee
Member, SPAH convention planning committee
Staff, SPAH Convention event operation