Re: [Harp-L] Sax and Harmonica

Here is a simple, easily-remembered rule for all such questions about transposing instruments:

Concert key (the one you hear) is found by combining the sharps and flats of the sheet-music's  key signature with  those of the instrument. Sharps cancel flats and vice versa.

In your example:

     The Bb clarinet has 2 flats
     The sheet music in G has 1 sharp.
     The combination is one flat or the key of F, the concert key
     That is, when the Bb clarinet plays the G sheet music you will hear F

So...if the student plays "by ear" in first position, he should use an F harp.

Another example:
I have a classical piece with concert pitch in D that has notes as low as A3 which do not appear on a 12-hole C chromatic.  I transposed the sheet music to G and read/play it on a G chromatic.

Key of the harp is G or 1 sharp
Key of the sheet music is G or 1 sharp.
The combination is two sharps for a concert key of D.

Just like magic!   ;o)

Vern