Re: [Harp-L] re: exhibitions vs. competitions

On Mar 4, 2012, at 12:30 PM, Michael Parker wrote

> And how do you get people to participate?

One of the big pitfalls is that some of the harmonica players are actual 'gigging' players. So scheduling is an issue. Also, some of them are not used to playing ONLY a harmonica in front of people. Some are used to playing with a group or band and don't do the tunes all by themselves. They take turns. And sometimes their solos need that band or group as backing. Some don't like to use (karaoke) tracks. So this is something you can't control. It's just the way it is. Some players do tunes that a lot of pick up bands are either not that familiar with or don't even know.

You need to make it attractive enough that players will both give up possible gigs AND spend the time and money necessary to show up. Most of the festivals do not cover all of even the star players expenses. After all, they are almost all non profit in the first place and have very shallow pockets. Harmonica is a niche instrument and while another artist might sell a million records and that would be considered a GOLD record, harmonica players 'should' (by comparison) qualify for gold at the 10,000 level. It sells about as well as polka music. I recently heard that someone was selling ONE cd per week at Amazon and that they were considered the biggest seller in their category. A really sad state of affairs.

> I dunno but I hope to figure it out.  I'm living in Toronto now and can find few signs of harmonica life around here, though I know it has to exist amongst these 5 million souls.  I really want to bring together a weekend harmonica festival in the city.  Probably not something that would happen this Summer, but perhaps next year.  I want to invite harmonica players to fill the streets and subway stations during the days (unofficial grass-roots busker fest) and then come together in the evenings for an open mic jam and perhaps a performance by one of the many harmonica talents we have in this awesome city.  The draw would be primarily the evening jam/concert and the opportunity to hang out with other harp players in a city.  Kind of a way to show that the harmonica has a life outside of the blues and bluegrass festivals, too (no offense to the blues or bluegrass festivals... you guys are awesome).

Since you mention blues and blue grass, there are country and jazz players. Even klezmer, tango, Latin, norteno, Tex-Mex, classical...French Canuckian...you name it. It's hard to get people who are specializing interested in festivals. The first question they would ask is: "What's there for me?" OR, what you need is people who come for the comraderie. I, for example, am an actual gigging side man, do several different types of music, but for me jazz would be the main draw. Then maybe country.

Then there is distance. Were I still in Mars, I would come. But now I'm practically in the Everglades and the costs would be prohibitive. Otherwise busking at Easton mall (or the needle) would be cool. I have done it before.

smo-joe