Re: [Harp-L] cool horn band w/harp

Hi,
I totally agree with Richard Hunter:

In any case, I've heard a lot of complaints about harp players doing
high-profile gigs, the general tone of which is usually something
like "he didn't play the gig the way Little Walter would have."  I'm
glad to see a harp player up front, even if he doesn't play the gig
the way I (or anybody else) would.  More harp players up front
eventually translates to more gigs for harp players, which I'm all in
favor of.

I have played harp in a four piece alternative rock band, as a full band member, not only as a guest for a few songs. We had vocals+bass, guitar, drums and harp. Most of the songs we played were originals. My experience:
1. I got a lot of positive feedback from the audience - from those who had nothing to do with harmonica and / or blues
2. I got a lot of negative feedback from (blues-)harp players, only a few of them were seriously interested,while the vast majority made comments like the one Richard mentioned, up to comments like "You don`t know how to play the harp..."

Otto