Re: [Harp-L] Red Foley's "Birmingham Bounce"

Mystery solved.
WVa Bob

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 5, 2012, at 9:19 PM, Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been advised offlist by by a correspondent Id'ing himself as Rex that what I heard as "Brownie Riddle" is actually Brownie Reynolds, as in Barefoot Brownie Reynolds:

http://hillbilly-music.com/artists/story/index.php?id=12565

Thanks, Rex.

Winslow Yerxa
President-elect, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance

________________________________ From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> To: harp-l harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:52 PM Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Red Foley's "Birmingham Bounce"

On Foley's recording of "Square Dance Tennessee" he introduces the harmonica solo at 1:49 by saying:

If you want Brownie(?) Riddles
to play his harp
A nod is all he needs
So step up front
and set 'er boy
And let's hear you choke them reeds

The harp player on this cut sounds similar to the one on Birmingham Bounce. Was this a nickname for Jimmie Riddle? He as with the Acuff band by then, but may have done some session wor. Still, it doesn't sound like him to me.

Winslow Yerxa
President-elect, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance

________________________________ From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> To: harp-l harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:29 PM Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Red Foley's "Birmingham Bounce"

The first two harmonica breaks both overlap the vocal slightly, so it can't be Foley.

The harp player doesn't really sound like Jimmie Riddle. Or like Wayne Raney. Raney and Onie Wheeler were both involved in Hillbilly Boogie, the country precursor of rock'n'roll. But Wheeler always played in second position on his own records, AFAIK.

The first-position player on this record has solid bending control on the high blow bends, but is kind of sloppy in hitting the notes, though his rhythm and phrasing are fine for the song.

I wonder if there's a comprehensive discography for Decca country singles that might shed some light.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
President-elect, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance

________________________________ From: Rick Dempster <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: robert mcgraw <harpbob@xxxxxxxxxxx> Cc: harp-l harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, August 4, 2012 6:49 PM Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Red Foley's "Birmingham Bounce"

First position on a G harp. Could be Jimmie Riddle or Onie Wheeler. Never
heard of Red playing harp, but not impossible.
RD