Re: [Harp-L] Amp Speaker Re-coning Recommendations

The speaker may be a permanent magnet (like modern speakers) or field
coil.  If there is three wires going to the tranformer than 2 wires to the
speaker it is permanent magnet.  If there are more wires, it is field
coil.

As previously noted, with a permanent magnet speaker, the tranny can be
removed from the old speaker and attached to a new one.  Look for a speaker
with suitable mounting holes for the transfomer, or make them, or lengthen
the tranny secondary leads to reach the speaker and attach the tranny to
the cab.  If you recone the original speaker it is probably best to remove
the tranny before shipping.

If a field coil speaker, you have options of 1) reconing speaker, 2)
getting a replacement field coil speaker (scarce), or 3) replacing with a
permanent magnet speaker.  Option 3 requires the addition of a choke or
power supply dropping resistor to the amp circuit, and amp tech job.

Jim R