Re: [Harp-L] Re: Read if you're bored!

I play acoustic music.  It doesn't have to be loud to be good, just loud
enough to be heard.  That said, I have tried to learn what really has to be
loud and what doesn't from those who play music that is "supposed" to be
loud .  Over time, I have learned that really good players do not have to
be loud, just loud enough.  I have stood next to a "legend" playing fuzz --
 without earplugs -- right in front of the amp.  It was illuminating.  The
"legend" was trying to teach the next generation how loud they don't have
to be.  Loud is fun and expected, but it is not necessary to be
progressively louder -- even if the drunks go deaf as they drink.  If he
doesn't know that yet, you may not have a good time playing with them.

An acquaintance of mine has a rock band which has these same issues.  Some
of their players set up at one level, very meekly, for the sound check,
then they each play as loud as possible during the show creating sound
issues and feedback.  Through the night, my acquaintance has to rein them
in.  Any time I have heard them, he has done a good job, and they sounded
pretty good -- and they were only loud enough, not too loud.

Cara